Consumer Tech Explosion of the 2010s – MGR Unplugged Podcast
Join Manuel and David as we recap some of the top tech companies news of the decade that is about to end. Who got it right and who got it wrong and what we can expect in 2020 and beyond. We’re now on video too so head over to our YouTube channel if you want to watch rather than listen!
Listen now on your favorite podcast platform:
Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Play | Stitcher | Overcast
- June 2010: Apple launches the iPhone 4, the first one with a high-resolution selfie camera, and the first iPhone to be available across all major US carriers.
- July 2011: Spotify launches in the US
- July 2011: Netflix launches Qwikster, loses thousands of subscribers and returns to being just Netflix again.
- October 2011: Steve Jobs dies. Everyone wonders how can Apple continue without him? The rest is history.
- April 2012: Facebook buys Instagram. Hard core Instagrammers are not too happy…
- August 2012: The Oculus Rift arrives on Kickstarter. VR takes the stage.
- May 2013: Adobe Launches Creative Cloud. A SaaS trend that would be followed by many other companies.
- June 2013: Edward Snowden reveals the NSA’s PRISM project and since then, has been exiled in Russia.
- February 2014: Facebook buys WhatsApp. WhatsApp users are not too happy either…
- March 2014: Amazon raises Prime subscription fee for the first time. Nobody cares, still is a good deal.
- November 2014: Amazon launches Amazon Echo. Alexa becomes the most popular name in the US, and she’s always listening… allegedly.
- December 2015: SpaceX lands a space rocket. The era of recycling rockets officially begins.
- November 2016: Donald Trump is elected president of the United States.
- March 2017: The Guardian publishes Facebook’s Cambridge Analytica scandal.
- June 2017: Amazon Buys Whole Foods.
- February 2019: Spotify becomes an “audio” company by adding Podcasting to its repertoire.
- December 2019: Larry Page and Sergey Brin leave Google. Surprisingly or not, the news outlets reaction is very subtle. Sundar Pichai had already been in charge for months.HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!
Subscribe to The Edge Digest and receive weekly news directly in your INBOX >
This episode is brought to you by: MGR Agency
If you liked this episode, please share it with your friends. If you REALLY liked it, please leave us a positive review on your favorite podcast platform. Thank you for watching or listening!